We have now certified about 700 patients in the NYS Medical Marijuana program. We have over 250 data points in our results database. Some things that are shaking down, in no particular order seem to be:
- sleep often gets better first, then pain gets better after you adjust the dosing
- there is a lot of CB1 receptor heterogeneity in response to inhaled delta-9-THC versus ingested (eaten) 11-OH-delta-9-THC. This heterogeneity is not only in the response to the medicine, but also to the side effects from the medicine.
- CBDs will give a very small percentage of people side effects like a buzz, GI issues like dyspepsia or diarrhea
- you can get around 50% excellent symptom relief if you adjust medical marijuana in the first couple months
- you can’t predict what or how much of what medical marijuana will work for any one person
More updates as we get more data.
If oral THC is not working, try vaping the THC.
We now have good data on about 150 results and some really interesting stuff is shaking down.
At least five folks get very little results from THC that they take by mouth, but they get GREAT results from THC that they vape. This works out to around 7% of folks who respond to THC at all.
There is an explanation for this.
It turns out that when you inhale THC, you are getting the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol directly into your bloodstream. This is the chemical that your brain/body see when medical marijuana is vaped.
However, when you EAT your THC product, your liver transforms the eaten THC into 11-hydroxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol as the predominant chemical that your brain/body see.
And it turns out that about 1/15 folks respond well to vaping delta-9-THC but don’t respond well to its 11-hydroxy-THC cousin they get from eating THC.
All this stuff is in progress, so Watch This Space.
Hot off the presses!
We just crunched more outcome numbers from our surveys and here is the latest: folks with spasticity (from MS or spinal cord injury, say) have over 40% excellent response to medical marijuana. Not just good, EXCELLENT ! And these are folks who have gone through all the other treatments for their spasticity with not good results. So this stuff works.
This is yet more evidence that the system works. You start with a certain schedule of medical marijuana, then the medicine is personalized depending on your response. We are beginning to Trust The System.
We have been crunching our data like crazy recently and the results are pretty amazing:
- about 2/3 people are at least half better
- about 1/3 people are almost all better
How do we get here? We have a system that personalizes each patient’s medical marijuana. We work with you to figure out what is working, how much is just enough, and how you should take it. If you can commit to this system, you can get results that look like this.
Our data shows that the endocannabinoid system is way too complicated to make simple recommendations for everybody. You need the system.
What medical marijuana will work for me?
This is a really good question that we get asked a lot. The best answer to this question is “We’ll find out.”
We have been surveying our patients and have asked those who are getting great results what medical marijuana products they are using. And it turns out that about a third are using just THC, a third are using a combination of THC and CBD, and a third are using just CBD.
We have designed a system to figure out which medical marijuana product will give you the most relief with the fewest side effects, and will work with you to get the medicine and dosing right. It takes some time and lots of communication. But it’s worth it: over half of our patients get most of their symptoms improved. (Yeah, we were surprised too ! )
So which third will you wind up in? We’ll find out.
We now have preliminary outcomes data on over 60 people that we have recently treated with medical marijuana . This is a small number and our analysis is incomplete at best. However, we are intrigued by some of the facts that have shaken out so far.
- about 2/3 people get half or better of their problems improved by adding medical marijuana to their treatment plan
- at least 1/3 people need to have their medical marijuana adjusted to get optimal results
- prices of medical marijuana vary widely
- a lot of people need help navigating the internet in order to get their NYS Medical Marijuana Program card
- there is a huge interest among people in trying medical marijuana as part of their treatment
So Watch This Space for updates.